Building Permit Applications
How to Apply
- Begin by downloading a Building Permit Application. Fill out this form completely, including contractor's license numbers and your Tax/Parcel number (Property Serial Number). Your parcel number can be found on your tax notice, or by using the Cache County Parcel Viewer.
- Gather all other necessary paperwork shown on the list below. The building office cannot act as a filing office for unfinished application materials. Do not e-mail or deliver any application materials until you have gathered all the required documentation.
- Submit your application packet in person at our office, or via e-mail. Applications must either be all-paper or all-digital. Follow all instructions on the Electronic Plan Submission page to apply via e-mail. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Please provide all items at the same time.
Required Application Packet Materials
The following items must be included in order for a building permit application to be processed. Rooftop solar panels and some accessory buildings do not require a Manual J&D form. If applying via e-mail, delivery of these materials must conform to the requirements on the Electronic Plan Submission page. Contact the Building Department at 435-755-1650 with any questions.
- An approved Zoning Clearance and accompanying documents (plot plan, setbacks, etc.) from the Cache County Zoning Office or appropriate city office.
- A Manual J&D form, for HVAC system duct sizing and layout, from your mechanical contractor.
- Two complete sets of paper plans drawn to 1/4 scale and specifications (or a PDF of your plans if applying via e-mail). All plans must include the following items:
- Floor plan with dimension of all levels, garages, decks, porches, plumbing plan, electrical plan, heating and/or air conditioning plan, etc.
- Indicate the square footage in all areas, (garage, main floor, upper levels, basement, decks, porches, etc.)
- Elevations of all four sides which indicate all doors, windows, roof, roof pitch, roof covering, exterior wall coverings, etc.
- Details of footings, foundation, walls, trusses or rafters and roof section, joist, all egress items (bedroom windows and doors, stairways, fireplace, beams, cantilevers, etc.; all cross sections).
- A completed Owner/Builder Certification if you are doing the work yourself (residential projects only, no commercial). This document must be filled out and signed in the presence of a Notary Public. We have a notary in our office if you need one.
We will contact you when your permit is ready for pickup and payment. Approval normally requires 3-10 working days for average structures. Larger commercial projects may require 30-45 working days for approval. You may pay for your permit in person, or you may mail a check to our office. Make checks payable to Cache County Corporation. We do not accept credit cards at this time.
Once your permit has been paid for, you have 6 months (180 days) to begin work. If no work has commenced within 180 days, the building permit will expire and you will need to re-apply. Permits will also expire if work has commenced, but is then suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days.