Frequently Asked Questions

 Question:  What is a noxious or invading weed? 

A: A weed is any plant growing where it doesn't meet your management plans. A noxious weed is a plant that is declared noxious, by the state or county, because it causes significant economic impacts within the state and/or county. An invading weed is a plant that is newly established within the state/county and poses a threat of gaining noxious weed status. 


Question: My neighbor has weeds that are infesting my property. What can be done about that? 

A: Simply talking to your neighbor about the problem often motivates them to control their weeds. According to the State of Utah Noxious Weed Act and Cache County Weed Policy, each landowner is responsible for the control of noxious weeds on his/her property. The Cache County Vegetation Management Division has legal jurisdiction over the control of State/County declaired Noxious Weeds only. The Vegetation Management Division may cite negligent landowners for their noxious weed problems if they fail to comply with the law. Weeds other than those on the State Noxious Weed List, may become a fire hazard and may be regulated by county or city fire departments. 



Question: What type of property do you spray?

A: We spray noxious weeds on pasture, rangeland, road sides, railroads, and ditch banks. We do not spray weeds in residential lawns, crops, or parking areas. Private companies will be happy to spray these areas for you. 


Question: What weeds do you spray? 

A: We are committed by state law and county policy, to spray weeds on the state/county noxious weed list.


Question: What is a good chemical to spray my weeds with?

A: This answer is nearly as varied as the species of noxious weeds that we have in the county. What chemical eradicates one weed may not even wilt another. Additionally, federal laws change periodically concerning what chemicals may be used and where and how they may be applied. "Read the Labels"


Question:  When should I spray my noxious weeds? 

A: This is a difficult question to answer because many species of noxious weeds respond better at certain times of the year. Generally, most plants respond well to herbicides in early growth stages, particularly annuals and biennials. Many perennials also respond well to fall applications of herbicide. Contact the Vegetation Management Division for detailed information. 


Question: How do I calibrate a sprayer? 

A: An excellent source for calibration can be found here.


Question: Can I effectively control noxious weeds without chemicals? 

A: Absolutely! Most annuals and biennials can be controlled by hand pulling or tillage. Biocontrol (pathogens, insects, herbivores, etc.) are available for several noxious weed species and can be used effectively in some large scale situations to reduce noxious weed populations, contact USDA-APHIS or the weed division for specifics. Competitive vegetation may be introduced or re-introduced to help control noxious weeds. However, these methods usually take a long time and likely will not eradicate the weed problem. These methods are meant to reduce noxious weeds to tolerable levels within the ecosystem. Fire without replanting competitive species generally exacerbates the noxious weed problem by increasing resources available to noxious weeds. 


Question: Does the Vegetation Management Division spray mosquitos?

A: No, we don't. Cache County has formed a mosquito abatement area which will be in operation soon. Logan City has done mosquito spraying in the past. You may also call one of the local pest control companies.