Marriage License

 Marriage Licenses are issued Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

To obtain a Marriage License:

  • The applicants must appear together at the County Clerk's office, but before they do they should prefill the marriage application form in order to expedite this process. You will need to retain the code that is generated by this process to provide when you go into the Clerk's Office.
  • Provide date of marriage
  • Provide name, phone number, address, and title of person who will perform the marriage (or name of temple if marriage will be performed in an LDS Temple). Persons recognized by The State of Utah authorized to solemnize marriages.
  • Applicants must show current valid picture identification (i.e. driver’s license, Utah ID card, passport, etc.)
  • Applicants must provide a Social Security Card or document showing their name and social security number (i.e. paycheck stub, W-2 form, tax return, bank statement, printed on driver’s license, etc.)
  • License fee: $40 cash or $41.50 credit card  (VISA, Discover, and MasterCard accepted)
  • Each applicant must provide their parents’ full names including mothers’ maiden names and the states where both parents were born; or country if they were born outside the United States
  • If either of the couple has been previously married:
    Must provide Divorce Decree or Decree of Annulment if bride and/or groom were married before and the most previous marriage ended in divorce or annulment. If marriage ended in death provide Death Certificate.


Validity of Marriage License

  • When applicants appear and present the required documents, a marriage license is issued and becomes effective immediately
  • Marriage licenses may be used immediately upon purchase, but must be used within 30 days from the date of issuance at which time the license expires
  • Refunds or extensions CANNOT be granted
  • If the license is lost, a new one must be purchased for an additional $40 fee
  • A license issued in Cache County may be used in any county in the state of Utah


Qualifications and Restrictions

Any persons related to each other within, but not including the fifth degree of consanguinity (generally means first cousins) MAY NOT MARRY, except for the following:

  • First cousins may marry if both are 55 years of age or older and the district court in the county where they reside finds that either is incapable of reproduction
  • First cousins may marry if both are 65 years of age or older


Age Requirements

Requirements for Minors  (15-17 years)

  • A minor must obtain consent from a parent or legal guardian and Juvenile Court Authorization.  A form is available in the County Clerk's office.
  • A parent or legal guardian must give sworn consent in person at the time of application, and must provide valid identification in person at the time of application
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced, consent shall be given by the parent having legal custody of the minor as evidenced by an oath of affirmation
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced and have been awarded joint custody of the minor, consent shall be given by the parent having physical custody of the minor the majority of the time as evidenced by an oath of affirmation to the clerk
  • If the minor is not in the custody of a parent, the legal guardian shall provide the consent and provide proof of guardianship by court order as well as an oath of affirmation
  • Parent/guardian must be present with valid picture ID to give consent and sign oath of affirmation
  • Certified copy of the applicants Birth Certificate
  • Social Security Card or valid proof of social security number

County Designee

Utah State Code 17-20-4 authorizes the County Clerk to designate individuals, who are willling to solemnize a legal marriage, for which a marriage license has been issued.  A designated individual is referred to as a Designee.  If you would like to register as a Single Ceremony Marriage Designee in Cache County you will need to appear in person, with the couple, and a Valid photo ID.  You will need to fill out and sign the Appointment and Agreement Form and pay the $10.00 fee.

Who may solemnize marriages 

Except for a county clerk, or a county clerk's designee, the following individuals my solemnize a marriage at the individual's descretion:

An individual 18 years or older who is authorized by a religious denomination to solemnize a marriage

Native American spiritual advisors


Lieutenant Governor

Mayors of municipalities or county Executives

Justice, Judge, or Commissioner of a court of record

Judge of a court not of record of the state

Judges or magistrates of the United States

County Clerk of any county in the state or county clerk designee as authorized by section 17-20-4

President of the Senate

Speaker of the House of Representatives

Judge or magistrate who holds office in Utah when retired, under rules set by the Supreme Court