Marriage License Application



Apply for a Marriage License:

Complete the Online Marriage License Application Form. You must retain the code that is provided to you which will be required by the Clerk's Office to complete the application process.


  • Both applicants must appear together at the Clerk's office to complete the marriage license application. Please ensure you have the following:
    • Applicants must show current valid picture identification (i.e. driver’s license, Utah ID card, passport, etc.)
    • Applicants must provide a Social Security Card or document showing their name and social security number (i.e. paycheck stub, W-2 form, tax return, bank statement, printed on driver’s license, etc.)
    • License fee: $40 cash or $41.50 credit card  (VISA, Discover, and MasterCard accepted)
    • Each applicant must provide their parents’ full names including mothers’ maiden names and the states where both parents were born; or country if they were born outside the United States


Validity of Marriage License

  • When applicants appear and present the required documents, a marriage license is issued and becomes effective immediately.
  • Marriage licenses may be used immediately upon purchase, but must be used within 30 days from the date of issuance at which time the license expires.
  • Refunds or extensions CANNOT be granted.
  • If the license is lost, a new one must be purchased for an additional $40 fee.
  • A license issued in Cache County may be used in any county in the state of Utah.


Qualifications and Restrictions

Any persons related to each other within, but not including the fifth degree of consanguinity (generally means first cousins) MAY NOT MARRY, except for the following:

  • First cousins may marry if both are 55 years of age or older and the district court in the county where they reside finds that either is incapable of reproduction.
  • First cousins may marry if both are 65 years of age or older.


Age Requirements

Requirements for Minors  (15-17 years)

  • A minor must obtain consent from a parent or legal guardian and Juvenile Court Authorization.  A form is available in the County Clerk's office.
  • A parent or legal guardian must give sworn consent in person at the time of application, and must provide valid identification in person at the time of application.
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced, consent shall be given by the parent having legal custody of the minor as evidenced by an oath of affirmation.
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced and have been awarded joint custody of the minor, consent shall be given by the parent having physical custody of the minor the majority of the time as evidenced by an oath of affirmation to the clerk.
  • If the minor is not in the custody of a parent, the legal guardian shall provide the consent and provide proof of guardianship by court order as well as an oath of affirmation.
  • Parent/guardian must be present with a valid picture ID to give consent and sign an oath of affirmation.
  • Certified copy of the applicant's Birth Certificate.
  • Social Security Card or valid proof of social security number.


County Designee

Utah State Code 17-20-4 authorizes the County Clerk to designate individuals, who are willing to solemnize a legal marriage, for which a marriage license has been issued.  A designated individual is referred to as a Designee.  If you would like to register as a Single Ceremony Marriage Designee in Cache County you will need to fill out and sign the Appointment and Agreement Form and pay the $10.00 fee.

 Individuals who would like to request the County Clerk to perform their marriage may do so by scheduling an appointment here. A $40 fee will be collected at the time of the ceremony. 


Who may Solemnize Marriages 

Except for a county clerk, or a county clerk's designee, the following individuals may solemnize a marriage at the individual's discretion:


  • An individual 18 years or older who is authorized by a religious denomination to solemnize a marriage;
  • Native American spiritual advisors;
  • governor;
  • the lieutenant governor;
  • mayors of municipalities or county executives;
  • justice, judge, or Commissioner of a court of record;
  • judge of a court not of record of the state;
  • judges or magistrates of the United States;
  • the county clerk of any county in the state or county clerk's designee as authorized by Section 17-20-4;
  • the president of the Senate;
  • the speaker of the House of Representatives; or
  • a judge or magistrate who holds office in Utah when retired, under rules set by the Supreme Court


Utah Marriage Handbook

The Utah Marriage Handbook is provided by the Utah Marriage Commission and can be accessed here.